- This event has passed.
Sibling Abuse: Assessment & Intervention
Friday, January 26th @
3 CEU credits for LMSW/LCSW + 3 CEU credits for LMHC + 3 CASAC Renewal Credits)
Identifying sibling abuse is critical to the field of social work and child welfare. Parent-child relationships are often the focus of assessment and sibling relationships are underexplored. This contributes to the oversight of developmental processes and appropriate interventions. This workshop will provide training on sibling abuse to staff to increase the awareness of sibling abuse as a phenomenon. The training will increase understanding of sibling abuse; the ability to assess its occurrence; and effectively intervene. Social workers will apply their ability to assess for parent-child abuse and extend that to assess for sibling abuse since sibling abuse has been found to be present in 50% of cases where parent-child abuse occurs. This workshop will allow professionals to inclusively protect children from harmful family conditions. At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Define, contrast, and differentiate sibling rivalry from sibling abuse.
- Illustrate the risks of sibling physical and emotional abuse.
- Explain the emotional effect of sibling abuse on the child and the ways in which the abusive relationship is internalized.
- Illustrate family factors which contribute to the development, existence, and perpetuation of sibling abuse.
- Identify the long-term implications of sibling abuse for adult survivors, particularly in the area of intimate relatedness.
- Identify risk factors within the family environment for sibling abuse.
- Identify protective factors for victims of sibling abuse.
- Assess for the occurrence of sibling abuse and the risk of sibling abuse.
- Utilize questions to assess for risk with the sibling victim, sibling perpetrator, and parent(s).
- Identify appropriate interventions with the family system.
- Increase cultural countertransference in an effort to consider what may interfere or challenge interventions.
When registering, please be sure to include
If this information does not apply to you, please
***CEU Certificates will be provided at the conclusion of the workshop as long as you were pre-registered for the training. Participants that register at the door will be required to pay an additional $10 with their registration fee and will receive their certificates via email 2 weeks after the conclusion of the training.***